11.16.2009

canoe and camp


We just got back from a music-filled camping trip to Bear Creek, where R's band played on Saturday. I cooked up a big batch of stir-fried greens, radishes and turnips, and roasted a bunch of sweet potatoes ahead of time, and we ate off those (plus a whole lot of eggs and english muffins) all weekend. My favorite part was getting up early (when, frankly, a lot of folks were just hitting the sack) and taking a walk to get a cup of coffee from one of the food vendors and then sitting in the sun knitting or reading for a while. I sure do need my quiet time.


our conestoga wagon

Transitioning back to work on Monday was a bit rough. Ever since the time change it is dark when I leave for work, and dark when I get home-- and I've always been a dark-means-sleep type of girl, so it's a real struggle for me to be productive. To counteract the frustration this brings, I've definitely been taking lots of mini breaks during my work day to do fun things like plan the dishes I'm going to make at our family's meal next week: Flageolet gratin (from the Sunday Suppers at Lucques cookbook--amazing!), these biscuits, and Aunt Harriet's sweet potatoes (involving lots of cream and chipotle peppers). And I've already been making (and eating) cranberry sauce for weeks now. I love fall!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a beautiful weekend! Glad you managed to have some quality quiet time - it's a must-have for me as well.

    ReplyDelete